Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Career

Well...it is official! I have started my own event planning company. This has always been a dream of mine and the doors are now open. I will give you one guess as to what the name of my company is.....gather, LLC...your right. It took me a bottle of wine to come up with the name of this blog and I am not going through that again.

I have a love for color, flowers, design, food and details. I have been fortunate enough to plan a wide variety of events ranging from seated dinner receptions for 400 people to weekend trips to Seaside, FL to rehearsal dinners for 70 people. During my 5 years in the event world, I have seen a lot and had a blast!

Since I am using this blog entry to toot my own horn, I think it is only fair to tell you about a situation that could have easily put an end to my event planning career. (If you are considering hiring me for your next event, please do not hold the below situations against me. The good news is, I lived to tell about it and every event has gone off just as the client dreamed).


It was summer of 06 and I was so excited about my idea for a family crawfish boil for a company outing. I had the dream of tents, moonwalks, snow cone machine, a back yard band and tables covered with crawfish and potatoes.....so much fun, right. Mistake one... I continued to send out emails to the host calling the event a crawfish "broil." I was quickly corrected that "broil" is something you do with an oven and "boil" is what you did to crawfish. To tell you the truth, I let this little hiccup go by....surely the invitation shop would have corrected me if I had carried the word "broil" that far. Looking back, I am thankful I didn't depend on the invitation store to correct this spelling mistake...hell they let me pick out an invitation with a huge lobster on it instead of a crawfish. What can I say....I am not a "sucking the head and eating the tail" kind of girl...how was I suppose to know. Everyone got a huge kick out of my lobster invitation for a crawfish "boil" and my RSVP list was filling up. Last but not least, it was time for me to pre-order my crawfish for the event.....WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME YOU CAN NOT BUY FRESH CRAWFISH DURING THE MONTH OF AUGUST?? My crawfish/lobster boil because a shrimp boil after all...but all in all everyone had a blast! The host family volunteered to have the company outing at their house again the next year if I promised to plan it.

With all this being said, if you know of anyone who needs a full event/wedding planner, an event consultant or the day of the event/wedding coordinator, please keep me in mind. I am so thankful for the variety of experiences I have gotten from the many, many events I have planned and I cannot wait to hit the ground running with gather's first client.

Below are a few photos that inspire me as a planner. Enjoy!









Happy Planning!
-NB

No comments: